Last week - Friday 23 and Saturday 24 October - we had the great opportunity to participate in the second edition of the Legal Hackathon (the first edition was held last year in Bilbao), organized by Testamenta at Valkiria Hub Space in Barcelona.
The aim of this encounter is to bring technology to the legal sector, and it was structured by combining three scenarios in which three types of activities happened simultaneously: a 24-hour hackathon, several presentations and panel discussions on various legal issues and workshops for entrepreneurs.
This post is also available in Spanish.
At this event, called Legal Hackathon because of its aim to develop viable technology solutions to legal problems, they gathered people of different profiles: programmers, marketers, lawyers, designers, sales professionals, etc. These people formed teams and competed against each other to solve one of the 3 challenges posed by the organizers and sponsors of the event:
- Testamenta challenge: find a way to get the digital inheritance to heirs safely.
- DAS Internacional challenge: to develop a search engine that defines the legal needs of customers and offers them alternatives to solve them.
- Vlex challenge: develop an app to solve the problems lawyers have in the legal field.
The event began on Friday, October 23 in the afternoon. The 6 teams - Syngravity, Simplaw, Lawpick, Secretia, Willdigital and Lawyers Survivors - started working on the challenge that each of them had chosen. Meanwhile, in the central hall of Valkiria Hub Space, a series of talks on legal and regulatory issues affecting the new digital business models took place. Other topics covered were about issues related to digitization, innovation and the startups' world.
At the same time, a room was fitted out for workshops and a space was reserved for startups to showcase their products and services. This space, called the innovation area, hosted several legal startups: PymeLegal, Terminis, Red Points,Testamenta , Work Guardian, M3trify, Online Gestoría, Linelex y Lequidy. Each one had a stand from where they could display their products or services to all interested attendees.
We also had our stand there, from which our sales colleagues Jelena Bekkers, Sales Development Representative, and Paula Ferrer, Market Response Representative, made several demos to show how quick and easy it is to sign any document with Signaturit.
Additionally , Juan Zamora, Co-founder and CEO of Signaturit, participated in two roundtables: one on Friday, October 23 entitled "Will digital signatures replace notarial signatures?" along with Adrià Cots, CEO of CompanyExpress.es and the notaries Miguel Roca Bermudez de Castro, Camino Quiroga Martinez and Ramon Abelló.
He also participated in another round table on Saturday October 24 called "Synergies between legal startups, insurance companies and banks" with Jordi Rivera, CEO at DAS International; Yolanda Perez, Director of BStartup from Banco Sabadell; Manel Malo, CEO of Helvetia Seguros Catalunya; Carles Argemí, CEO of Testamenta and Josep Coll, Founder and President of Red Points.
All talks were very interesting and from Signaturit we would like to highlight three of them:
- The talk on "Regulation and necessary solutions for crowdfunding" by Ramon Saltor, Founder and CEO at The Crowd Angel.
- The surprise talk by Juan J. Montero Pascual, Lawyer at Uber Spain, on the reasons that led to the termination of the Uber platform in Spain and why that decision is illegal.
- The talk about "Agile Sales" by Lluis Font, expert in agile sales methodologies.
Finally, on Saturday October 24 afternoon, the jury chose the winning projects, which were:
- Lawyer Survivors: this team won first prize for building the best app within 24 hours, and took € 1,000 sponsored by DAS International and a fast-track to enter Wayra accelerator. They developed an application that allows lawyers to know the state in which the processes of its customers are.
- Willgital: this team won the Testamenta challenge, which includes the prize to be incubated at this company's offices for free for 1 year. This team developed a tool to manage digital and social inheritance.
The other 4 teams did not get awards, but they also developed very good projects:
- Secretia: they developed a digital safe to store pictures, passwords, etc.
- Lawpick: they created an app that connects customers with lawyers through an auction for legal services. The customer sets a price and lawyers who want to get that customer must bid for it.
- Simplaw: their app allows people to write any questions about legal issues with keywords, and the program uses the keywords to identify the type of lawyer they need.
- Syngravity: this team developed a tool to obtain information on any aspect of legal proceedings and send it to the client.
Congratulations to all!
We would like to thank Testamenta for organizing this event and for inviting us to participate. The whole encounter was a success, top teams were created and excellent opportunities were generated.